So, I Was Wondering If There Would....

John Thomas8

So, I Was Wondering If There Would....

Post by John Thomas8 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:56 am

.....be any interest in running any 100th anniversary games of the Great War? Or would it be limited to Jutland?

John Thomas8

Re: So, I Was Wondering If There Would....

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:13 am

The part I'll want to game is evolution of tactics, from the confusion of 1914 to the ones that would have worked (and did) in Normandy 30 years later, at the platoon or maybe the company level. Remembering that SS143 from 1917 was earned in 1916 and is the best source for the present day "shoot, move and communicate".

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 am

I forgot, I'd be using Through the Mud And The Blood rules, almost skirmish level rules for WWI. Between 30-100 figs a side.

There's a boat load of scenarios now, but as WWI hit Britain far harder than it did us, there's going to be battle-specific scenarios written over the next four years, seeings how TFL are a couple of Brits both with family as casualties in the war. They've put an extensive amount of work into the rules and can fully explain why the "popular" view that it was "donkeys leading lions" is a boat load of happy crap and that reality shows a quite different story.

johnncfb

Post by johnncfb » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 am

I would be interested in Jutland and in tench warfare games as well.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 pm

What I'm looking at is a informal study on how the tactics changed over the course of the war, from the free wheeling opening move until the British produce SS143 and we see the birth of modern infantry tactics. While it'd be interesting in redoing a couple of massed attack/defender game, drilling down to the company or even platoon level is going to give a different feel for the period....throw in the evolution in air warfare, too, it should be interesting set games to play out.

I'll be looking at putting together the platoon sized forces, finding a wider variety of planes for the air part, and looking to see who has the naval part.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:52 am

So, while I'm interested in the tactical evolution that occurred between 1914-1918, there's also something to be said for the visual aspect of corps going over the top and moving through the mud and the blood to the other trench line.

Any ideas on a 6- or 10mm line of figures to build the mass battles? I'm not all that happy with painting critters that small (not even a little bit) but anything bigger and you ain't doing a battle of any size on a "normal" sized table.

Chuckaroobob

Post by Chuckaroobob » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:00 am

I own 25mm Brits and Turks, I've used GW's Great War and Iron Ivan's Price of Glory. Got some Huns, too, but they remain unpainted (!). Haven't played any games with trenches, I've mostly had 1914 type battles.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:54 am

Have you looked into the Too Fat Lardies Through The Mud And The Blood rules? It does about 30-100 troops per side and really really recreates the WWI battlefields as they were, not how "popular history" or hollyweird has presented them. They have supplements for Turkey and the Middle East that are just the thing for getting into the dirt and trenches of those theatres.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:44 am

I agree with Through the Mud and the Blood you can quite easily run a company attack supported by a company of tanks though standard deployment of the platoons would result in two platoons being on board with the three tanks for the first phase & the other two platoons arriving to reinforce the remnants of the first wave against the inevitable counter attack.

initial defenders would be a platoon of infantry with an Mg or two in close support and the counter attack group a couple of platoons of storm troopers with perhaps some off board < I cant remember the name of the German Spigot Morter> to add to the carnage but no flame throwers.

you can do that on a normal 6' by 8' table

:evil: Ginger

Chuckaroobob

Post by Chuckaroobob » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 am

I own Through the Mud & the Blood but haven't played it yet. I didn't know there were supplements out there, might have to pick em up!

I also have Triumph & Tragedy and want to give it a whirl!