AAR: Chain Of Command: In The Jungle

John Thomas8

AAR: Chain Of Command: In The Jungle

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:36 am

Played a quick one tonight, Australians vs IJN SNFL troops, set in a jungle on New Guinea in mid-1943. John came out and we started patrolling right at 1700.

John took the Australians, who were to hold the ridge line while the SNFL platoon had it's mission to kick them off (taken before we switched the table so the Japanese were coming from side with the date/time stamp in the picture and the Australians from the ridge):

The first 7 phases were taken up by deploying and moving, then the Grant spotted the Japanese MMG and started hammering away at it with both cannons:

And then the Vickers catches sight of the right flank Japanese squad and opens up, while the 2" lays down smoke and two Australian sections work on the left of the Japanese force:

Casualties start to mount and two of the Japanese squads run up on the Australian's right, two close combats later and the Japanese have lost 24 troops and the Australians two whole sections and the platoon sergeant. Force moral drops all over the place.

Before the first close combat:

After the 2nd close combat:

Two phases later and I roll 3 5s in one go, getting a CoC dice and ending the turn to get that flippin' smoke out of the way. Two Australian sections have been lurking in that mess, no way to shoot at them. I'm down two and a half squads, so I push the GD squad up on the ridge and set them after the Vickers. The Type 95 made it to the fight and half of the remaining Japanese squad took out another Australian section, leaving the Australians with down a Command Dice due to lost morale:

Down to the end, the Japanese kept up their force morale with better rolls thand the Australians, a final of 6 to 4, with the Japanese taking 35 casualties and the Australians 29.

John Thomas8

Re: AAR: Chain Of Command: In The Jungle

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:44 am

Two hours and three minutes for 2 turns and 30 phases. The Japanese phased 17 times, once 3 times in a row (which made some of the close combat possible.

John played the Australians hard, pushing half his force forward early and often....and spent an inordinate amount of the Grant's time hammering at the Japanese MMG (for once I was able to roll saves) but it was interesting how long both forces lasted, even taking such serious losses.

Return to “After Action Reports”