AAR: LFS at GA, Blunder On The Danube Part 2, 27 Feb 14

John Thomas8

AAR: LFS at GA, Blunder On The Danube Part 2, 27 Feb 14

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 am

Part One can be found here. (clink on the red text)

Ok, so Greg came out to GA with his kit and we picked up at Turn 8.

We made one reset, halving the French heavy cav casualties as we had played them incorrectly in Part 1. Still 25% down, but not permanently shaken.

Here's how we laid out the initial forces. Not exactly the same as the end of the last part, but troops that were on the table last time were there this time and in basically the same formation and distance apart:

And Davout ran the Cuirassiers and foot arty that came in on the other side of the board from Friant/Bieber and was opposed by Vukassovich's Guard forces. The Hessian Hussars took both French heavy regiments to half strength with the help of their arty, while the heavies rendered one of the Hussar regiments permanently shaken, too. What the heavies did accomplish (with some fortuitous cards) was to allow the two foot batteries to run away.

First, here's the Guard deployed:

Then here's French heavies standing while the foot batteries run towards support and the main fight:

On to the main fight. Greg got better command pips (for everyone but Bieber) early and turned around the bulk of his infantry and headed it back to face Friant. I had left the 7th Legere of Montbrun's command to take the bombardment from Bieber's guns while spreading out and moving the various brigades under Friant forward:

(the 7th Legere is the single stand in front of the big brigade on the right front. This image is from behind the French)

Greg continued to pip well and Rosenburg kept absorbing the Poor/Cautious commander card, letting Bieber finally use some pips and get his troops, along with St. Julein's brigades and the Ferdinand Hussars (the devils!!!!!!! :roflmao: )

Friant pushed Gilly's 15th Legere and 33 Ligne into contact with Bieber's Krunitz IR #20 and Wurttemburg IR #38:

And then the second regiment of Ferdinand Hussars charged through Biebers arty and crushed 1/15 and 2/15, routing them and then running them down to completely take both regiments out of the game:

As play drew to a close for this part, the 33rd pushed some of Kaunitz back, and Greg was working his right to get St Julein and Luisgnan's troops set to roll the French on the flank, with only Friant's 108th Ligne in any position to oppose that move in the turns upcoming:

(the French 108th is the unit directly in front of the yellow Austrian banners on the right. This image is from behind the Austrians):

Greg's otherwise occupied with life thingies the next couple of weeks, so Part 3 will have to wait. Any and everyone is invited to come out when we announce the next chapter in the saga and see if: you can help the French, missing the center of their line, to recover; or move large amounts of Austrian infantry and run the French off the table.

John Thomas8

Re: AAR: LFS at GA, Blunder On The Danube Part 2, 27 Feb 14

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:36 am

I did find, after sitting down to write up the game, where I got a bit confused and thought the arty just ran when contacted. That happens only when there's no supports. If the Ferdinand Hussars were not behind them, that would have been it for both batteries. Having the supports kept them in place and fighting.

Should bring my Nook with all the rules on it so I can use something other than the Mk I eyeball for searches..... ?(

marshalgreg

Postby marshalgreg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes I was wondering about that.
I new from past (other wargames) that artillery that was not supported was doomed (unless they stop their foe with the canister). Since these rules are higher level and that gets rolled into the combat, it made more the reason to bring in the support so if "push came to shove", to evade from the guns. :idea:

Greg

marshalgreg

Postby marshalgreg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:30 pm

From the side of the Austrians.....

With start of turn 8, v.Bieber stood alone facing the ever growing dark mass approaching the valley in which his command now found themselves. [ In below picture v Biebers inf brigade and attached cavalry from the Vukassovich's advance garde Division]
Thus from turn 8 until turn 12 v Bieber forces stood mostly motionless.
According to official reports( from his staff and only of a measly two… present with relative fresh horses since they had only gone out once each to send orders to do some simple “deploy into line” and “Hussar move to the right of the batteries…thus being present for most of the time) that v Bieber was pacing back and forth in front of them on his trusty steed mumbling…” Oh dear the entire French army is to my front, oh dear, oh dear, what to do? Ohhh what to do? I am only a brigade commander, I am only a brigade commander!…oh dear!”
Yes... that meant in this many turns... only 2 pips becoming available to act on with thanks to the “cautious/poor” card showing it’s ugly head prior to v Bieber’s card!!! UUUugh!
Fortunately for the "white menace", Friant was ever so to be cautious in his approach (even with more than plenty of PIPs to work with)! His lack of pressure on v Bieber was to go on till turn 14.
This allowed the "so very active and animated FML Rosenburg who had to go galloping down the road with this staff attempting to keep up…to order a turn around of both St Juliens and Lugansin’s command (and counter march back to near where they started) to become available to support v Bieber. The below picture shows their deployment of the two commands to v Bieber's right and effectively threaten the flank of the now and ever so late attacking GdDFriant.
With Rosenburg’s arrival back with the long march column of white menace, v Bieber was to come alive (with the relief that came from the weight of the command that so paralyzed him removed….)! Yes ...FML Rosenburg was hit for the next two turns with the cautious/poor cards and v Bieber achieving 4 and 3 pips exclusively ( a roll of “5” and “4” on the average die none the less!!!). Things quickly had changed for the worst forGdD Friant!
Now the stage has been set for the coming part III!

Return to “After Action Reports”