AAR: Chain of Command at Cold Steel, 15 Feb 14

John Thomas8

AAR: Chain of Command at Cold Steel, 15 Feb 14

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Bruce's Cold Steel was a success, good games presented and lots o' players.

And my little bit was a game of Chain of Command, British regulars attacking a German Heer platoon in Belgium in October 1944. OOBs can be seen here.

The table looked like this to start, you see the Heer patrol markers on the left and the British were coming from the other end of the table:

The Germans maneuvered their patrol markers in order to occupy the trench line and the Brits ran forward to in the tree line.

Phase 1 of Turn went to the Heer, who rolled well enough to get a squad and a Pak 40 on the table. The next 3 Phases of Turn 1 and the first phase of Turn 2 went to the Brits, who rolled 7 sixes in their first 15 command dice. They pushed two squads out, the 1st 2" and a Vickers MMG in their first 4 phases.

Turn 2 phase 2 to Turn 3 phase 4 (8 total phases) were a mish-mash of pushing troops out on the table and exchanging shots as the command dice allowed:

Turn 3 Phase 5 saw the Pak 40, with no tank targets, start firing at the Brit section on the Heer's right. LT Stiles countered that by dropping 2" mortar rounds on the crew, slowly shocking and chipping away at the gun's crew. Turn 4 Phase 2 had the center Tommy section pinned by a MG42. The next phase the section was unpinned start and since they double-sixed the last phases, the two sections in position started hammering away at the trench line:

The German senior leaders spent all their points taking shock off the line gruppes to keep them active and able to defend themselves while the Brits kept firing HE at the Pak and not using smoke to deploy their engineers to work on the wire.

Here you see the trenches not so occupied as the two sections kept hammering and there's only so many saves to be rolled:

Turn 5, phase 1 saw the last of the Pak 40 crew eliminated, taking out the German's primary AT weapon. They lost 4 Force Moral since there was a junior leader directing the crew:

More phases pass and then the tank troop shows up (1 Firefly and 4 Cromwells) and on Turn 5, Phase 8, the third tank in line takes a Net+3 hit from a Panzerschrek, ruining his day and blocking the bridge from further vehicle travel (the highlight of the Heer's battle, BTW):

The rest of the game remained in Turn 5. Every time the Brits played, they shot the blazes out of the trench line and on phase 11 the Vickers got the 'schrek operator. As the game wound down, the Germans finally got their tanks, 3 Pzr IVs. But......the Firefly beat it senseless and then put it out of it's misery (this from the British end of the table):

At this point, the Heer FM was 3 and the Tommies at 8. British casualties were 8 killed, the Germans lost 17 (neither total counts tank crews) and it was apparent that the British had the horse power (4 tanks+a PIAT to 2 tanks) and infantry left to push the Heer off the hill and control the area.

Tom Davis played an excellent game and as usual I played normally (badly) as the Heer while running the game.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/71OXXMv.jpg[/img]

5 turns and 48 phases played in 3 hours and 6 minutes, seems reasonable to me as I had to teach the game as we went.

John Thomas8

Re: AAR: Chain of Command at Cold Steel, 15 Feb 14

Postby John Thomas8 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:05 am

My only regret: table too big. We played on a 6x6 not a 4x6 and I believe that allowed the Brits too much room to maneuver.

Chuckaroobob

Postby Chuckaroobob » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Great looking game! And you're right, giving the Brits a PIAT obviously overbalanced the scenario. :lol:

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:10 pm

The dice favored the Brits, especially early. They got two sections and a 2" out an in position to continuously hammer away at the trench line. What I should have done is take the SMG squad out of the trench and assaulted the wood line in close combat where their short-range firepower would have made a significant difference. But I was running the game and not playing well.

Return to “After Action Reports”