AAR: LFS at GA, Blunder On The Danube Part 1, 21 Jan 14

John Thomas8

AAR: LFS at GA, Blunder On The Danube Part 1, 21 Jan 14

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:23 am

Well, broke a long not-gaming streak last night thanks to Greg and Keith.

The scenario "Blunder On The Danube", pitted Rosenberg vs Davout, part of the Teugn-Hausen battle.

Greg, who provided the terrain and the excellent figures, worked with Keith running the Austrians and I took the French.

From this view, the Austrians were to come on from the left (those are some of the Austrian blinds) and the French on the right:

Early on the Austrians ran into their major problem: command and control. Rosenberg wasn't a skilled commander and his subordinates in this game, with the exception of FML Vukassovich, were also more of a liability than an asset. 5 of the 6 carded commanders had a -1 on their command pip rolls. The French had three commanders in the deck, 2 at +1 and 1 at +2 on their pip rolls.

Turns 1 and two were spent moving blinds out, and rather than jam Friant's division over the hills and through the woods, I opted to move over the open ground to the close end of the board while the Keith and Greg worked on their victory conditions in their move.

What I failed to notice was that Montbrun's heavy cav, by scenario design, came on the table on the end the Austrians were amassed, hanging two regiments and their attached foot arty out to dry.

By Turn 5 I had taken all of my commands off blinds and prepared to roll over Bieber's independent command. Some sparring went on between Montbrun's lights and Bieber's lights, both sides taking and giving:

The major fight saw Montbrun's heavies slugging it out with the Ferdinand Hussars and coming out much worse for the wear, both regiments routing away with 50% casualties....

7 turns in 3.5 hours. Not remotely the speed LFS can achieve but much time was taken up plotting moves and matching commanders to blinds when cards were turned. Greg did a great job and many thanks to Keith for taking time out to join us.

marshalgreg

Re: AAR: LFS at GA, 21 Jan 14

Postby marshalgreg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Hmmm John!

This could be a great one for a part II!
IIRC with 7 turn and a start time of ~ 9:20 am April 19 this means part II should start around 11:40pm leaving many more turns at ~20 min per turn. The rolls "for thunderstorm" wouldn't begin till 2:30 pm.
It would be interesting see if Bieber could hold that long and when any reinforcements that Rosenburg went to fetch would arrive in time!

Friant is technically losing since he is now cut off but he could punch his way back through( and Davout will no longer be available since he is cut-off, other than to possibly come on with any remaining reinforcements)!

Thank you Keith and John for good play! Yes it was slower than plan with both Keith's and my learning curves. The next one will be much faster I am sure!

MG

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 am

Davout comes back on a roll of 7-10 (your OOB) and with the pictures it is very possible to pick this back up where we left off.

Running blinds is slower than running formations on the table, and we, especially the Austrians, spent a long time on blinds.

It would be really interesting to see if the Austrian formation on the right can move fast enough to catch up to Friant's hyper-powered formation before it crushes Bieber's command.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Due to the weather we'll be doing part 2 on Thursday

Return to “After Action Reports”