AAR: Chain Of Command, 19 Sep 13

John Thomas8

AAR: Chain Of Command, 19 Sep 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:52 am

I'm dancing right now, we had two on a side for a while tonight, triple the usual turnout.

John and his friend (I'm horrible with names, my apologies) took the Brits; Ryan and John took the Germans.

Force Morale on both sides was 10. Goal for the Brits was to take the crossroads past the wire barrier and the Germans was to keep it. The forests on either side were heavy, the hedges bounding the field provide cover and blocked line of sight. The rocky hills were impassable to anyone:

The Brits won the roll and started the patrol phase and game play. The first roll turned up 2 6s and a four, and the Brits pushed out fast. The second roll they got two 4s so by their first two phases the Brits were on the table sans tanks:

Here we see the Germans running their first phase, and there's an 8-man British engineer squad on the left of the wire barrier, getting ready to take after it:

That didn't work out so well, as the first German CD roll contained two sixes. With the engineers completely exposed to the attached MG42 and an MG34 in the burned out building, they met an untimely end during phases 3 and 4 along with -1 on the Force Morale chart:

Here we see half the engineers gone and they're pinned by shock:

Phases 5-7 saw lots of shots exchanged and some serious smoke come out. Phase 8, with the Germans playing, deployed a squad into close contact with the British squad occupying the heavy woods on the left. Defending the woods, the Brits won the close combat pushing the German squad back 6".

The three British tanks showed during Phase 9, but during Phase 10 they lost another team and another point of Force Morale. The Brits got a FM point from the Germans during Phase 11.

Phase 12 was the beginning of the end for the British attack and the Germans earned a CoC dice. The Firefly drove through the smoke into the sights of a Pak 40. The '40s shot was an 8 to hit accounting for the surprize and the tank coming out of smoke, and hit with an 8. The hit and save rolls saw a net 4 hits on the tank, blowing it up:

More shooting during Phase 13, then the Germans rolling for Phase 14 had one of those unique rolls, 2 sixes and 3 fives.

Phase 15, a Comet pushes forward past the Firefly only to encounter a panzerschrek in the burned out house. The strike was true and a net 6 hits and the tank was gone, along with another British team, putting them at FM of 6 and the Germans at 9. We called the game there as with one Comet and two squads it would have been futile to keep pushing.

We rolled a total of 1 turn and 17 phases in about 2 hours, teaching 2 of the players the rules as we played. Both sides fired a bunch of smoke but the Brits fired theirs after committing that engineer squad, leaving them sitting ducks when the Germans double-sixed their first phase.

Thanks to the guys for coming out, it was a fairly decent game.

John Thomas8

Re: AAR: Chain Of Command, 19 Sep 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:27 am

One thing came up I didn't have an answer for: can you target leaders? 9.1.1 says yes, if they're outside of 4" of any other troops.

The other thing came up in my head, I didn't bother to stop the flow of the game. When a senior leader comes on to the table, his pips can only be used on troops currently on the table, not to bring squads/teams onto the table with him.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:53 am

Oh, and the LMG behind the 'schreck should have died when the 'schreck fired. Back blast and all that.

I'm kinda surprized I missed that.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:31 am

Just to document the OOB, the Brit attackers had 31 points from their support list, the Germans 20.

EvilGinger

Postby EvilGinger » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:34 pm

lots of folks do but having treated some one who did that behind a practice round fired form a Carl Gustav I sort of can't worst exercise injury I ever saw.

:evil: Ginger

Saladin

Postby Saladin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:19 am

I'm not fond of putting gamers into a situation like that - but it show that vehicles are very brittle. In a battle of attrition you need infantry.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 am

But GMs don't put folks in those situations, players do.

I will always make infantry too close to exploding vehicles check for hits. I've allowed a 'schrek to get fired through an MG42 crew which took out a MG crew member.

If players want to do things that don't make sense, I allow it but "charge" them for it.

Return to “After Action Reports”