AAR: Chain Of Command, 5 Sep 13

John Thomas8

AAR: Chain Of Command, 5 Sep 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:05 am

Alrighty then, I was floored. Somebody besides John showed up for a week day game. Thanks to Ryan for coming out to have a go with a new set of rules.

OOBs directly from the rules, a panzergrenadier platoon with it's 251s plus two Panzer IVs versus a Russian rifle platoon with 2 T-34/76s. Each side got a 50mm mortar and an HMG as their other supports.

We played the patrol scenario and as luck would have it both guys rolled the same end, so basically half the table saw any use.

The patrol scenario looks like

------1--------2---------3--------- Russian side, rolled for sector 3

------1--------2---------3--------- German side, rolled for sector 3

Both players moved their patrol markers out towards the center of the board, but the Russians camped on the town and the Germans stayed mostly across from them.

Here's the mid-point of Phase 7, Turn 1, my camera was acting funky tonight and only took half the pictures I thought I took.

In this picture, we're looking from the Russian side, they're in the two damaged buildings and the tree line next to the left-hand building. At one point that squad in the tree line amassed 19 points of shock. In the upper left copse of trees is a full German squad, with a team on the hill to it's right.

Ryan, playing the Germans, managed to roll three 5s in 2 of his first 4 rolls and gained the first Chain Of Command dice in the game, and played it after the 11th phase of the 1st turn to keep the initiative. In all, the Germans played 7 of the first 11 phases and seemed to have things almost in hand: one of the T34s was pinned, one Russian squad had 19 points of shock. They'd lost use of their 50mm mortar, losing 2 of three crew.

At the upper right in this picture you can barely see the pinned marker on the German 50mm, and 2 shock markers as both side hammered on each other.

Then, we had the turning point in the game, in my estimation. The German squad in the trees shown in the first picture took orders from the PSG and charged the Russians in the tree line next to the building. 18 vs 16 dice roll, the German squad disappeared and the Russian squad only had it's squad leader left. There were two rounds, and the Russian SL offed the German SL in the second round of close combat.

You can see the empty set of trees next to the building on the left here along with a destroyed T34, hit by the Pzr IV:

The carnage continued the rest of the game. Ryan got his P'schrek on the table, and it blew up the M36 after it net-4 hit one of the Panzer IVs.

So the M36 accounted for a 251 and a Pzr IV, the other IV got a T34 and the schrek got the TD.

End game: a bunch of smoke, none of it from mortar fire:

In the end, Ryan's Germans had 8 men and 2 operational 251s with a command 6 wheeler while John's Russians had 8 men left and a functioning T34. The Russians ended with a Force Morale of 6, the Germans 3 as John's "Bad Things Happen" rolls were always 1s. Ryan made good use of the 2 Coc dice he earned, but the early rolling success seemed to disappear and John's rolling improved, a tale of two halves of a game.

We got in 5 turns and 34 phases in about 3 hours.

I think I got this one balanced out pretty well, the die rolls didn't bring the hull MMGs in to play too much and the only dash across an open field didn't become costly until the German squad made contact with the next terrain feature.

The only thing I would have wanted to happen differently from a game set up stand point is that John and Ryan didn't roll the same starting location, effectively taking the table from 4x6 to 4x4 at most.

John Thomas8

Re: AAR: Chain Of Command, 5 Sep 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:35 am

Just to document the OOBs, The Germans had 29 points, the Russians 17.

Return to “After Action Reports”