AAR: Elephant At TGC, 10 Aug 13

John Thomas8

AAR: Elephant At TGC, 10 Aug 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Ron had a full house today and it was quite nice of him to hold me a table. Lucius made the game interesting and proved again that TFL rules give a good game without being overly complex. By Turn 8 he was solidly into the game play and showed good generalship and sportsmanship. He took good advantage of the CSA bonus cards, too, keeping me back-footed most of the game.

Ok, we made some adjustments and played a pared down game with the following OOB:

CSA:

LTG Early

MG Robert Rodes

Maj Henry McClellan
4th North Carolina
13th North Carolina
30th North Carolina
1st Texas Sharpshooters

Artillery - Maj Floyd King
Chapman's Battery - 4x 12pd Napoleons - vet - CPT George Chapman
Bryant's Battery - 4x 12pd Napoleons - avg - LT JP Bryant

BG John MacCausland
17th Virginia Cavalry
Botetourt Battery - 6x 3" rifles

versus

MG David Hunter

BG George Crook

1st Brigade - Col Rutherford B. Hayes
23rd Ohio
36th Ohio
5th West Virginia
13th West Virginia
1st Ohio Sharpshooters

Artillery - CPT James R McMullin
1st Battery, Kentucky Artillery - 6x 3" rifles
Battery "B", Maryland Artillery - 6x 3" rifles

1st Brigade - Col William B. Tibbits
21st New York - 6 bases - BLC
st Battery, Ohio Light Artillery - 6x 3" rifles

In a delaying action by the USA to allow the rest of Hunter troops to move north while Early is out front seeing if it's worth bringing up the rest of his troops to engage Hunter.

A nice, tight 19-card deck and we got in 27 turns in about 2.5 hours. Lucius Cyrus took Early and the CSA.

The table, looking north then sout:

Turns 1-7 were blinds-only move. I put Tibbet's cav on the table on Turn 8 and McClellan's infantry came out on Turn 10.

On Turn 12 the arty comes out, King's taking the middle high ground, McMullian's in the ruins.

MacCausland came off blinds, dropped his artillery on the heavily defended stone wall and went straight for the ruins. Between Turns 13 and 17 King's arty pounded on Tibbet's cavalry and on Turn 18, the 17th Virginia routed the 21st NY:

After routing Tibbet's, the 17th Virginia chased off McMullian's gunners, eliminating 2/3s of the Union artillery:

Turn 20 saw the 30th NC and 1st TX SS take out the 1st Ohio SS.

Turn 21, Tibbet's recovered 21st NY bounces the 17th Virginia, and after some trading of fire between Turns 22 and 24, MacCausland took out 21st NY and the horse arty for good.

Turn 25 saw McClellan's 30th NC go over the wall and rout the 36th Ohio off the table with more than 50% losses.

During Turn 26, the 30th NC bounced the 23rd Ohio and at that point Hunter (me) decided that it was time to withdraw, which is what we did during Turn 27.

In the end, Early held the field and with a bit of luck with the card turns, would have caught and crushed the rest of Hunter's force:

This was the result I expected (GM and teaching the game while trying to actually play a coherent game, ain't gonna happen) and the only change I would have made to the impromptu scenario is a bit more arty for the USA force.

John Thomas8

Re: AAR: Elephant At TGC, 10 Aug 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:47 am

On one hand it was kind of a disappointing day, but on the other I got to expose TFL to a new player and talk to Dave and Ron for a bit afterwards. There was a constant buzz of the card/RPG players which was nice.

The "curveball" was that Early was going to start with only Gordon's division on the table and Rodes' two brigades would have come on at some point. To balance that, Duffie would have had 3 horse batteries instead of 1 and Crook would have had 7 instead of 2. Either way, with the commander's ratings the way they were the Union was going to be hard pressed to stay on the table, the cards would have back footed them most of the game.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:39 am

What I should have done is put all the arty together in a place that they could hammer the stone fence line and give them infantry supports.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:30 pm

No, the real change to the game yesterday would have been to take either Early or Rodes out of the equation. Lucius had 21 command PiPs to operate 4 infantry regiments.

What I should have done is used Evan's Brigade of Gordon's Division, 7 small regiments with a DAv+1 instead of Rodes'.

It's all about command PiPs and the turn of the card.....

Return to “After Action Reports”