AAR: LFS at Greg's, 25 Jul 13

John Thomas8

AAR: LFS at Greg's, 25 Jul 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 am

First, thanks to Greg for providing a good, easy to access venue and a gorgeous table.

Greg commanded the French, John the Allies, this time a mix of Russians, Austrians and Saxons (and the figures are awesome looking).

The first two turns were spent maneuvering blinds into position and during Turn 3 the Saxons and French fought over the two built-up areas on the Allies' Right (the stream between the buildings separated them into two separate BUAs) and the French pushed the Allies out:

At the end of Turn 3, the fights seems to be shaping up on either flank with almost nothing going on in the center:

Next we see the aftermath of the French troops charging down the hill at fulling functioning Russian 12pdrs: the gunners ran away (should have evaded) and there's casualties galore to go around:

On the right the cavalry commands get together, with the French a bit more supported by their infantry and Allies having to deal with getting disordered crossing and re-crossing the stream:

At the end, the on the French left, they controlled the high ground but were missing 25% of their total infantry form casualties

while on the Allies left, the was much fight left there although the Allies needed to get their cav over the stream and ordered to have a go at it:

Probably technically a French victory at this point, but were probably 6 more turns of even fighting left to be played.

John Thomas8

Re: AAR: LFS at Greg's, 25 Jul 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 am

I'm looking into what happens when arty crews attempt to re-man their guns while the guns remain in an enemy battalion's zone of control. That and combination of changing formation and moving in the same turn.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Zippee from the LFSlist Yahoo! group provided these answers:

Re-manning guns:

Abandoned guns is a bit of a grey area.
First only HA can properly evade (I'm guessing 12pdrs aren't horse artillery), any artillery contacted may evade behind friends within 4" (not sure if there were any). So not forced to evade but optional possibly.
Second Quick result e might apply, depends on formations but is unlikely I think, so if not evading, the gunners stand
Third if they fought a combat and were 'bounced' (I assume that's an lD result) they retire 4" shaken (if permanently shaken they are removed)
Fourth you can only enter a ZOC to enter combat - gunners can't do that (I cannot find the statement but I think it's taken that artillery does not initiate combat - in any case you'd need to be in Normal not Shaken).
Fifth - therefore the gunners cannot enter the ZOC to reclaim the guns. Personally I'd say that they would need to recover from Shaken and the guns to be non-threatened (free of ZOC) before they could return to them.

And formation changes+movement in the same turn:

Section 18.6: "Moving and changing formation, although it takes two PIPs, does not constitute a double move. Hence, all battalions of a regiment in reserve may change formation from column into line and move 8" (two moves of 4"), costing three PIPs in total."
or more simply yes they can, spend 2 PIPs and change and move full

TFL rules get great support from the whole community.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:40 pm

And as a final say in the arty question, the author of LFS3 has this to say:

Hi all,
as Zippee said. The gunners can't attack the infantry, and so can't enter the ZOC so are effectively prevented from remanning the guns until the infantry are driven off by some friends.
The gunners could have evaded behind friendly infantry, therefore not fighting the combat and not becoming Shaken, if the infantry were within 4"

cheers,
Daz

Return to “After Action Reports”