AAR: LFS at Desert Dune, 24 Jul 13

John Thomas8

AAR: LFS at Desert Dune, 24 Jul 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:53 am

Amazing, amazing game. A great big hammerfest, John took the French this time and I picked up that motley bunch of Allied commanders.

We both decided to attack, John with his 1st, 2nd and cavalry divisions, me with my 2nd and 3rd division and with the cavalry on maneuver orders to roam the battlefield in the center. (unless otherwise noted, the French are on the left of the pictures below)

He left his 3rd division to anchor his right and I left my 1st division on Russians holding my right.

Two turns on blinds to get folks kinda where we wanted them, we then got down to the business of spotting and hammering (the French are at the top of the picture below):

At the end of Turn 4, my Dragoons had bounced off his Hussars and the respective 2nd Divisions are ready to collide in the center:

So, we see here that one of the 4 French hussar regiments has bounced while the Allied Uhlans routed on the 2nd worse roll I made during the game (the worst being rolling snake eyes needing 3 to hit with the Russian 12pdrs). The Allied left (Prussian) pushes forward on attack orders while the French left (also on attack orders) moves forward to challenge the Russians on the hill. Behind the copse of trees in the center is the routed two-battalion Tirolean brigade while the Austrian half of that division is facing a really silly direction:

The center continued to be a hornet's nest, both side's battalions inflicting massive casualties and bouncing each other back and forth. The cavalry in the center got kinda standoffish, neither wanting to take the disordered combat penalty for crossing the stream and the respective lefts pressed relentlessly towards the high ground:

The French 1st Division finds out that charging up hill against Russian Stoic line and a full 12-gun battery of 12pdrs results in lots and lots of casualties:

While the Prussians ended up not dealing with the Hussars very well:

The French threw 6 full battalions and a skirmish unit at the Russians and they just couldn't break them:

While the Austrians in the Allied center just couldn't cope:

Like I wrote here, it was time to roll that d20. John got a 3 (good) and I rolled a 19 (not even a little good) and 3 regiments of high-end French Cuirassiers crashed the party, and immediately lit into the flank of the Prussians. So hard in fact that they and the Hussars captured an entire Prussian battalion:

Turn 10 saw the end of the game, a technical victory for the French, as I had 3 battalions and a battery back in the carrying cases while John had 5 functioning cavalry regiments (3 heavy) to either obliterate the Allied center or continue to hammering on the Prussians, while I was stuck not rolling my guests onto the table (a British contingent) and trying to re-arrange the battle plan with 4 of 5 commanders with +0 or -1 on PiPs.

From the Allied end:

From the French end:

John Thomas8

Re: AAR: LFS at Desert Dune, 24 Jul 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 am

7 more pictures here:

http://imgur.com/a/u8nMX

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:30 am

For the record, skirmishers chased by cavalry seem to be covered by c) of 20.1

c) Skirmishers contacted by cavalry are scattered and the figures representing them are removed from the table.

johnncfb

Postby johnncfb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:48 pm

This rule set makes for games that "feel" right. The movement is restricted to a follow the leader grand movement unless a commander gets involved in making the changes to the individual battalions movement...which from reading about battles at this period and up to including the civil war seemed to be the method of moving large bodies of men under enemy fire. The combat rsolution method makes every contact of arms a dicey affair...there is no pre assault calculations guaranteeing a result.

the game last night was a lot of fun with both players trying more to get the rules right than to bend the rules which makes for a more enjoyable game in my opinion. The Allys troops are fine, but a sustained assualt is tough given the leaders that they have.

The system for fighting with cav I think is elegant. They can rampage at will....about every third turn.

People who have never played this system will be surprised by the level of abstractions in some areas and the detail given to others, but the game emphasizes what it claims...command decisions, coordinated movement, a flexible plan sound judgement. Oh...also it teaches one to not charge Russian 12 pdrs on a hill.

Well played game and I think several wrinkles were ironed out and John was a pleasure to play with, as always.

Return to “After Action Reports”