AAR: LFS at Desert Dune, 16 Jul 13

John Thomas8

AAR: LFS at Desert Dune, 16 Jul 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 am

Just me 'n John, everybody else saddlin' up for Historicon.

Sometime in the fall of 1805, east of the Balkans, South of Ulm, north of Italy.

John took the Allies, OOB can be seen here (click on the red text to see the OOB). A mixed bag of Russians, Prussians, Austrians and Tyroleans, with Kaminsky as C-i-C.

I took the French, OOB can be seen here with Ney in charge.

John's blinds are on the right on this table:

He put 3 of 4 batteries on the high ground, a full 12-gun Russian battery of 12pdrs on his right (upper left in the picture), a Austrian battery of 8pdrs on his left, with the Prussian Division and Liechtenstein's cavalry in the center. He pushed foward quite aggressively with his best commander, Hessen-Homburg and occupied the biggest French formation all game (as seen on the right side of the picture below).

The French cavalry came off blinds in column and decided to charge across the bridge. Probably not the best move as the 13th Cuirassiers were routed in Turn 4 and the 4th Hussars in Turn 6, as seen below. The 1st picture is before the Hussars got bounced and after the Cuirassiers, the second is both running away at HorseWarp speed:

Next up for the French to fail was St Hilaire's small division, by Turn 7 both battalions were Permanently Shaken (just above the bridge in this picture).

In the mean time, Vandamme's 1st Brigade was fighting Prussians just below the bridge. We bounced each other back and forth, but 5 of the 6 battalions were functional at the end of the game. But not from trying, there was some heavy fighting in the woods there.

The Tyroleans decided to take on Vandamme's 2nd Brigade, and in two turns one routed off the table and the other was barely rescued. The only General lost during the game happened when the T-men pushed across the stream and routed, Hessen-Homburg rolling 2 on a 3-loss combat (the first unit seen in the picture below on the upper right is Vandamme's 2nd Brigade, the T-men running and Austrians regrouping).

The Prussians relentlessly hammered St. Hilaire's division, see below where the Legere battalion disappeared completely (directly to left of the bridge are 3 Prussian battalions faced by one permanently shaken Ligne battalion):

At this point the outcome was inevitable, the Allies were going to push the French off the table. John's biggest formation, the Russians, almost weren't engaged outside the 12pdrs hammering the French 3rd Division. The French cavalry on the board were represented by their artillery and commander, the 2nd Division was eliminated, the 1st mired in fighting both the Prussian division and the Combined division with it's artillery masked/blocked by troops and the forest. The 3rd Division's move forward would have been to attempt to take out the Russians 12pdrs (not a given) and the completely untouched Russian infantry, before it would have a chance to roll up the Prussian's flank. with John rolling unmodified double-digits with "boring" regularity :hug: , there was going to be not much of the 3rd Division left to roll anything but over.

Lot's of casualties, though:

The Ugly:
1) The unpainted cannons and using quarters for commanders. Unacceptable.
2) Unflocked bases.

The Bad:
1) Playing and GMing made me miss the ZOC/pinning rules. Far too many times units stayed within 4" of each other after combats.
2) Unlabeled bases made it kinda hard to allocate pips. I won't do that again, as the Allies moved far too freely for the number of PiPs rolled.

The Puzzling:
1) Hitting a unit in the flank didn't seem to make that much of a difference in combat results. That's on me, I'll get with lfslist Yahoo! Group to fix the way I'm playing flanks.

The Good:
1) No shocking results. Rolling right gave the "right" feel for the results.
2) The card-driven activation proved again why it's my favourite game play mechanism. Both of us had plans (my turned out to be kinda goofy, but it was a plan) and the cards played havoc with those plans. And as bad as the Allied commanders were, 5 of 11 turns the Poor/Cautious card came out last, leaving the "poor" commanders to at least do something every turn.

3) 3 hours and 16 minutes for 11 turns. At a 15-minute per turn time scale, that's a wee bit long. But it was my first public game and John hadn't seen the rules EVER, so ~30 minutes over doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'll pound it out some more solo in the garage, working on strictly enforcing the ZOC/pinning rules, which would have altered the game outcome I think.

EvilGinger

Re: AAR: LFS at Desert Dune, 16 Jul 13

Postby EvilGinger » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Good stuff I have posted a link to it locally to encourage the Burton Lardies to give it a go thought I fear I would yet again be painting both sides

:evil: Ginger

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50 pm

If I had to paint those figures the game wouldn't get played. Painting nappies seems quite the chore.....given the peculiarities of the uniform-date combinations.

If I had been playing and not doing double duty, I would have put the small French division on the high ground on my side, pushed the bigger 3rd division over the bridge and ran the cav across the creek on my left.

So goes it.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 am

Ok, a clarification to the flank attack: Hitting a unit in the flank halves it's total CV. So a 9 to 5 result drops to a 9 to 2 result, adding 7 to the 2d6 roll. Even rolling snake eyes gives an excellent outcome to the attacker.

And the units that are "true" skirmishers or units having SK factors shoot at the same time the artillery bombards. Musket toting troops fire 4", those with rifles fire 8". a 10 on 2d6 makes the target shaken, 11, 12, 13, 14 inflicts a hit and shakes the target. So, when preparing an attack, moving the skirmishers to 4" away then passing line through after the skirmishers fire could put the target in a bad way.

Return to “After Action Reports”