AAR: TW&T At Desert Dune, 12 Jun 13

John Thomas8

AAR: TW&T At Desert Dune, 12 Jun 13

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:14 am

An interesting afternoon's game, the Brits were under John's hand and a regular at Desert Dune, Tom, handled the German regulars. This was Tom's first attempt a war gaming.

The Germans had the goal of holding the bridge, the waterway being impassible to vehicle traffic. They moved into position on their blinds and occupied a hill overlooking the bridge with one squad, a bunker with the HQ group and attached MG42 and had two squads on the road coming up to support. To hold the bridge, they parted the Panther on it.

The Brits, who were to take the bridge intact to facilitate the regiment's advance, moved two sections on blinds to the high ground on their right, put their HQ group with attached Vickers in the abandoned bunker, and swung the third squad to their left. Their Firefly kept itself behind the hill, waiting on a target.

For the first 5 turns, the Firefly and Panther traded shots and neither could make a hit. The German 3rd gruppe on the hill spotted and made short work of the British 2nd section on their right, while the Vickers and 2" did almost as much damage to the 3rd gruppe as it gave out.

The British 1st and 3rd sections came off blinds and with cover and height, hammered the German 1st and 2nd gruppe, aided by the 2" and Vickers when they were done with the 3rd gruppe.

At this point, the Panther made a move to give the two sections on the hill a hard time (the picture above. It made its advance and fired it's hull MG, inflicted shock on the 1st section. But that also changed the Firefly's shot from head-on to side and that changed everything. The next Firefly card the shot struck home and with a net three hits, set the Panther to brew.

At this point, the German Leutant consolidated his 2 two remainig gruppe and decided to withdraw to wait for reinforcements.

10 turns, a little over two hours.

A note on the pictures: Except for the big white ball on the Panther, all smoke is a marker reminding us who had fired already this turn.

johnncfb

Re: AAR: TW&T At Desert Dune, 12 Jun 13

Postby johnncfb » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:26 am

It was a great little game...My left flank probe took it in the shorts, but it did tie down the enemy command section and 1 other sqd.

The pictures turned out great..the smoke looks good in the pics. thank you for running the game.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 am

I wrestled the whole game with "should I tell him not to do that" or "should I tell him to do that", but I didn't want to use Tom to just move critters and roll dice. He did ask the some of the right questions at the right points. The problem is solely a lack of knowledge about the weapons and tactics to use them on the gaming table.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:34 am

The high ground you occupied on your right was the key. Shooting up hill at troops in hard cover is...hard, and not moving his second gruppe to the tree line to make the shots at them worse didn't help.

EvilGinger

Postby EvilGinger » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:12 am

looks rather an interesting game which I have pointed out to the locals around here to encourage them

:evil: Ginger

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:19 am

Thanks. John keeps me on my toes. I was (and am) amazed at how fast this game plays, even having to flip through all the available Tactical Initiative cards. And improper tactics get hammered silly. Using proper tactics won't guarantee you'll win, but not using proper tactics will guarantee you'll lose.

EvilGinger

Postby EvilGinger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:03 pm

I am quite a fan of TW&T and decided to do my WWII stuff in 20mm as a result, I also rather like M&B which has much the same feel & is just as unforgiving of bad tactics. I also find the system a bit easier to not lose track of.

As a result of this I am really looking forward to CoC as a its a development of the latter at its core.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:19 pm

I really enjoyed the CoC background article in the 2013 Lardie Summer Special.

EvilGinger

Postby EvilGinger » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:51 pm

I also like the idea that CoC will be better at handling armour than TW&T as that was the latter sets only weakness IMO as it is brilliant for infantry actions at low level and I would also want to be able to do low level combined arms as well.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:17 am

I like the sound of the rules, but I'm not sure I need another set of WWII skirmish rules. TW&T does what I want it to do. IABSM doesn't do much more than two companies a side....a set for bigger formations that isn't an adaptation of Kriegspiel would be interesting, though.

Not that I expect one in the foreseeable future, given CoC, Buf, IABNM, hexless Algy and SQUIRREL are all ahead of anything else.

Return to “After Action Reports”